Monday, January 8, 2018

Dinner and farm happenings!

UPDATED WITH FINAL DINNER PICS!
<-- Dinner is thawing!  Keep reading to see what we're having 

Hi friends, want to know what’s going on in this Grassfarmer’s Wife’s life??

Lots but not too much at the same time.  This time of year- post Christmas craziness, pre season start up – gives me time to work on getting all our paperwork in order, focus on homeschooling my kids, and do crafts.  As I gaze out the sliding glass door at the snow covered playset I am grateful for boys that entertain themselves even when they can’t go outside due to the extreme cold. 

But let’s get back on track…what’s going on.

On the farm:  Pete’s got to get a farrowing hut built for one of his sows who is ready to give birth very soon.  A farrowing hut is a small moveable shelter that a momma pig (sow) can make her nest in and give birth to her litter of piglets in.  It protects her and the babies from the snow and wind, giving her a spot to call home.  Pete’s got a whole plan to build a slew of these so we can raise lots of pigs this year.  We have a restaurant (Legume)  who plans on purchasing lots of pork from us this season!  YAY!!!   He’s also got some deer to cut up for custom orders, hams and bacons to smoke, chickens, pigs, cows, sheep and a donkey to feed and water.. you know the usual stuff.  There’s so much to do even in the Slow Season on a farm. 

At home:  Homeschooling:  we’re wrapping up Kindergarten in the next few weeks here and I plan to dive into 1st grade shortly.  He’s done so well with all this.  He can read, play piano, do mental math, and loves to color pictures.  Makes this momma’s heart happy.

Homelife:  Laundry, Dishes, Cooking.. Let’s hang on the cooking part for a minute
Want to know what I’m cooking for dinner this week:

Monday:  Baked Whole Chicken with garlic mashed taters, green beans and ice cream for dessert!!

Tuesday:  Beef Stew
Wednesday:  Pork Shoulder Steaks
Thursday:  Leftovers!  Chicken Salad
Friday: Homemade Pizza Night- Pepperoni, Green Pepper, Sausage!
Saturday: Chicken Mozzarella
Sunday:  Granola

My goal is to show you all pictures of each meal – we’ll see how that goes!

I meal plan for the whole month, shop for all needed items and eat as few processed foods as we can.  I know that this keeps my families bodies happy and healthy! 
Who wants to know how I make these meals? Who wants to know anything about my daily farmer’s wife life?  It’s a fun one!

Praise the Lord for all His blessings!

******* Update:
Here's how dinner went:
I seasoned the lovely chicken by mixing some olive oil (about 1/4 cup) with the following seasoinings:  McCormic Smokehouse Maple, Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt, Minced Garlic, and Garlic Salt.  I got it under the skin at the legs, under the skin on the breast and all over the whole thing! Baked it at 380 for 1.5 hours

Here's how it turned out!  Oh my was it delicious! All those dripping make the best gravy!!

My boys beg and BEG for chicken skin when we eat this dish.  And I love giving it to them!  Why??  Because Pasture Raised Chicken skin fed a GMO free diet and eating pasture is FILLED with nutrients and vitamins!  It's healthy for them to eat the skin!!  They love it and I love knowing where it came from.  

No comments:

Post a Comment